Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I'm On A Crouton Kick

Dear Lauren,

Most people go to Hawaii and get a tan, take a helicopter ride, see some lava, and surf.

 I ask for recipes for popovers.

 He looks like a little alien popover, right? 



You don't need a popover pan to make popovers. A muffin pan will do. And yes, I did ask for the recipe when we were at dinner at BLT in Waikiki. The server said, certainly! And I felt special! Til he brought me the recipe on a printed card and I realized I wasn't the first person to ask. Great minds think alike?



And although I asked for the recipe, I haven't made a single popover since that day last November.

However, Dad has made pans and pans of them. This batch is probably the best one yet. I'm making croutons with the leftovers.

BLT Popovers
(they'll give you the recipe if you ask them)

4 cups milk, warmed
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1 1/2 heaping tablespoons salt
2 1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese (Dad sometimes uses sharp cheddar or baby Swiss. He says you can use what you like or have in the fridge.)
popover pan (As you can see, a muffin pan will work!)

Place the pan in the oven. Heat the oven and the pan to 350.Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly  whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.Stir the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.

Once combined, remove the pan from the oven and spray with nonstick vegetable spray. While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover (or muffin cup) 3/4 full. Top each with 2 1/2 tablespoons grated cheese.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking.

Remove from oven, remove from the pan and serve immediately.

(For croutons, tear day-old popovers into smallish pieces and bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until crunchy.)

(Anything in parentheses is Dad's or mine. The rest is all BLT.)

Love,


P.S. The croutons turned out great. I ate 9 of them. Then I choked on the 10th. I think my crouton kick is now over!


No comments:

Post a Comment