Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Corn Pudding

Dear Lauren,

After the Kentucky Derby in 2015, one of Dad's lawyers had a barbecue at his house afterward. Everyone fell in love with this dish - it sounds so basic and kind of uninteresting, but somehow it wasn't! The host's mother made it for the party. She wasn't in attendance, but we were assured the recipe would be forwarded. Here it is. As I read the recipe, I still can't tell why it is so delicious! I've made corn pudding in the past and it wasn't as good as this gal's mother's! I'm sorry I don't have a good picture of it. Next time I make it, I'll take one. I use a large oval baker which adds a little visual interest. Don't underestimate this recipe - of all the dishes served that day, this was the one they ran out of first!

Corn Pudding
by Judith Rudd's mother (by all accounts, a fantastic cook!)

1/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper

Combine above ingredients.
6 large eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1 stick butter, melted
8 cups fresh corn kernels (You can use frozen corn if you like - I have and it still tastes delicious. If you use fresh corn, each cob yields about 1/2 cup of corn.)

Beat eggs with whisk. Stir in cream and butter. Gradually add sugar/flour mixture. Stir in the corn. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until almost set in center.


Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment