Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Gingersnap Cookies and Molasses Cookies - The Same Cookie

This cookie post is always going to be my favorite. It involves all of my favorite things. My husband, my friend, a grandmother, and sugar. Did you see the photo that I made as big as I possibly could make it? Those cookies are GOLD in this house. For about twenty years, Willie has been asking me to make molasses cookies just like he likes them. I tried and I tried and I tried and I failed...a lot. Luckily for me, I was introduced to a wonderful woman, someone Willie knows and respects and who is associated with his work. I first met Tamela when she was hosting a dinner in Willie's honor. She told me later she was very nervous about meeting me! I found that hard to believe! She said the way Willie talks about me I am the perfect woman! Ha! That's so nice to hear! But as Tamela quickly learned, I am just a quirky lady who likes to talk a lot! Tamela joined my cookbook group and one day she shared a photo of some cookies she made from her grandmother's recipe. She generously shared the recipe with all of us and has allowed me to share it with the world! 

Grandma's Ginger Snaps OR
Willie's Favorite Molasses Cookies
by Tamela's grandmother

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
2 teaspoons ground ginger (I usually use 1 3/4 teaspoons.)
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda

Combine all ingredients and roll dough into balls. Roll cookie balls in sugar. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350°F.



No comments:

Post a Comment