Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Sausage Dinner

Dear Lauren, 

I met this lady at a conference I went to with Dad. I felt like I'd met my new best friend at camp and then I had to go home, never to see her again! I was sad! Luckily, unlike back in my day, we have the Internet and texting and I get to talk to my new friend all the time. She's shared a lot of her cooking knowledge and favorite cookbooks with me and because of her I am the richer. And now so are you because I want to share this really simple recipe I came across in one of the cookbooks she recommended to me.

When I posted a photo of the dish on Facebook, I was asked what it was called and I said, Sunday Supper. Turns out it's really called Sausage Supper! But since I made it on a Sunday, I decided it will be known as Sunday Sausage Dinner around here from now on!

This dish is excellent at any time of day but I think brunch is a great time to make it and so is any busy evening. Even if it's not a Sunday.


Sunday Sausage Dinner
adapted from A Southerly Course cookbook

3-3 ounce links of your favorite sausage (we used Burton sausage, Dad's favorite)
1 onion, cut in half, peeled, sliced thinly in half-moons
1/2 cup water
olive oil

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450. Add the first four ingredients to a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Stab the sausages with a fork a few times. Put the skillet in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the water is gone and you have nicely browned sausages and mostly caramelized onions.

While the sausages are cooking, add the flour, egg, and milk to a bowl and whisk the ingredients until there are no lumps. Set aside.

When the sausages are cooked, remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter over the sausages. Add salt and pepper over the batter. Put the skillet back in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the batter is puffed and browned. Remove from the oven and serve.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment