Saturday, February 28, 2015

Greek Lemony Grilled Chicken (that's Not Grilled) with Summer Peach Salsa (in the Winter and with Plums instead)


Dear Lauren,

It's nice to think we always have just exactly what we need on hand when we're ready to cook. But often, it just doesn't turn out that way. Dad and I shop almost daily and by that I mean, I make lists and Dad stops on the way home from work and shops. He likes it, I swear! It's always such a wonderful thing when I come upon a recipe I really want to make and I realize I already have everything here! Or mostly everything. Or enough that I can improvise. And I really love it that I've cooked enough and gained the confidence to try things off the cuff. I credit Dad, prolific cooking on my own, and the various cooking groups to which I belong for this extra bit of confidence. Also, I've eaten at a lot of great restaurants in many difference cities. Also, there are great cooks in the family. I have quite the imagination to boot. Etc.

All of this to say that I wanted to make some peach salsa but I only had plums. I needed jalapenos but alas, no fresh, hot peppers to be found. The salsa wanted a red onion but I had a sweet, white one. Dad was out of town! So, I decided to wing it and I'm so glad. This salsa is delicious and perfect with this chicken. I'm sure many people already know that a tiny bit of salt with plum is incredible but I didn't. Now I do.

Lemony Grilled Chicken (that's Not Grilled)
adapted from It's All Greek to Me cookbook

Marinade:
2 lemons, juiced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
5 green onions, white parts only, sliced thinly 

extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds chicken breast (about 3-4 breasts), sliced lengthwise in thirds like "chicken tenders", rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel, sprinkled with kosher salt and finely ground black pepper

Place all marinade ingredients directly in a gallon size Ziploc. Zip it and shake it until combined. Or you can use a whisk to combine the ingredients. It's up to you. Drop in the chicken tenders. Squeeze out the air from the Ziploc before sealing it. Place the bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Over medium high heat, add a little oil to a cast iron skillet. When hot, add each tender after shaking off as much of the marinade as you can. Leave about an inch between the tenders so they don't steam. Cook for about 4 minutes. Don't move the tenders around during that time. Then cook them on the flip-side for about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan to a serving plate and enjoy with the salsa (see next recipe). You can serve both the chicken and the salsa over a mixed greens or you can serve it over rice. You can also take warm pitas and make yourself some Greek-style tacos.

Summer Peach Salsa (in the Winter and with Plums instead)
adapted from It's All Greek to Me cookbook
2-3 ripe plums, pitted and chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 sweet white onion, chopped
1/2 bunch of Italian flat-leafed parsley, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Mix the first 6 ingredients together and then season with the salt and pepper to taste. Serve over or along side chicken or fish or anything you like. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients.
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment