Monday, August 12, 2013

Plums for Breakfast

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for teaching me to text. I love it. Here's why.

I'm a terrible meal planner! I never plan and shop for the week. I used to be great at planning meals ahead of time, but it was really out of necessity with three kids at home. Now, because Dad loves to grocery shop, and because of texting, and because I'm a spontaneous sort of person, I can just text him before he gets home in the evening and have him stop and pick up a few things. I do this all the time.

One day I texted him a list and he was sitting across the room. "Sandra, I'm right here."


Oh, we laugh and have fun like this all the time.


Yesterday I texted him this list: sugar, 1 pound apricots, sliced almonds, organic vanilla yogurt - small. In about two hours, those items appeared! Except the apricots - the store was out. So, he brought me plums. 

I can work with plums!

When you make this recipe you will really want to eat some of it when it comes out of the oven. Don't. It's SOOOOO much better cold! Make it ahead when you have company. It's an unexpected breakfast treat and your guests will love you.

Plum Breakfast Crisp
adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook 

4-6 plums, cut in fourths (depending on if you want more fruit or more crunch)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon flour

1/2 stick butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
a big pinch of coarse salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds (or more!)

vanilla yogurt 

Preheat oven to 400°F

Mix the first three ingredients in the baking dish you plan to use. I used a small, round baking dish (about 8 inches in diameter). 

Melt the butter. Put the rest of the ingredients (except for the yogurt) in a bowl and stir. Add the butter. Stir until incorporated. Pour the "crisp" on top of your fruit and bake for 25-30 minutes, being careful to watch it the last few minutes. You want the "crisp" crisp! But, don't let it bake too long - the top will turn too dark!

Cool until room temperature. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Serve for breakfast with a big spoonful of vanilla yogurt on the side, on top, anywhere you like!

Love,

P.S. You can use any stone fruit for this! The original recipe calls for apricots and I'll try that the next time they're in the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment