Monday, August 19, 2013

Lemony Pancakes & Peach Pancakes

These?
Or these?
Dear Lauren, 

It's hard to choose right? The ones on top are lemony pancakes and the ones on the bottom are a sliced peach and sour cream pancake recipe I made from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Now, I love thin pancakes, like close to crepes, but just a little thicker. And I also like buttermilk pancakes, but they are usually too fluffy and cakey. So what I suggest is trying the lemony pancakes because they are just right! You can add some peach slices in some of them just to see what you think! Or, you can add some nice blueberries or blackberries, of course. And you can serve them with some maple syrup, but I love them with a little bit of melted butter and some powdered sugar. OK, sometimes, most times, a lot...of each.



Shaking sugar on pancakes is harder to do while
taking photographs than you might think.
This recipe is adapted from one I got from my friend Krisi, a friend of mine at 37 Cooks. I've known her for years, before 37 Cooks was even a glimmer of an idea. She lived in Singapore at the time she shared her original pancake recipe with me, which is so cool, right? Krisi’s recipe used unflavored vegetable oil, so feel free to do the same if you wish. But, I bet you won’t after trying the lemony version. It was so good, I used it in an olive oil challenge for 37 Cooks!


Lemony Buttermilk Pancakes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 heaping Tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
powdered sugar & melted butter

Combine first five ingredients; stir well. Combine eggs, buttermilk, and oil in a bowl. Add flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

For each pancake, pour about 1/3 cup batter onto a greased griddle over medium low. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook the other side.

These are totally out of control. I call them Blizzard Pancakes.


If you want to try to add some peach slices or other fruit, pour the 1/3 cup batter onto a lightly greased griddle over medium low and add the peach slices on top. Then flip when the tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked just as you normally would. Let the pancakes cook as long as you can so the peaches will caramelize - YUM.

Serve hot with a little melted butter and some sifted powdered sugar. Or syrup. Whatever you choose.

You can store pancake batter up to one week in the fridge and make the pancakes later if you like. Add a little milk to the batter if the batter is too thick after storage.

If you have any leftover pancakes, and I predict you won’t, you can freeze them in Ziploc sandwich bags with all the air pressed out of them, and then put all of the bagged pancakes in a quart or gallon freezer Ziploc. Reheat in the toaster.










Love,

P.S. Yes, I said reheat them in the toaster. It's convenient, it's fun, and they taste just like they came off the griddle, unlike if you reheat in the microwave.

P.P.S. Ok, I know it would not be hard for you to choose. You don't really like breakfast foods. Or syrup! But someday you will be cooking for friends or family and you'll want this recipe. I promise.

 11-5-2013 P.S.S. I just read a quote and I had to add it to this recipe because I really do definitely think the blizzard pancake photos have drama, don't you agree? "Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it's done right. Even pancakes." - Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment