Monday, October 15, 2012

Bacon, Egg, and Tomato Pie

Dear Lauren,

About a month ago I told you I was part of 37 Cooks and that we were in the middle of a Pie Challenge. What I didn't mention is that I was working night and day on the 37 Cooks project to get it up and running. It's a really neat story how 37 Cooks came to be. It all started in our basement, in the room we call The Downstairs Costco and wow did it take off from there. Some things are just meant to be and I feel like 37 Cooks is one of those meant to be things. It really is my baby and I have been tending it night and day and as a result no letters to you! Sorry!


You should go take a minute and read how this all happened. I never wrote about The Downstairs Costco on 37 Cooks but I know you know what I'm talking about. You know, the room that has the shelves and the refrigerator where we keep all the stuff we get at Costco that we can't fit in the pantry or the fridge upstairs in the kitchen? The room with all the seasonal decorations that are right now a giant disastrous mess just waiting for me to clean up? YA! That room! I love that room but you would never know it! The Flylady would tell me to just start working on it 15 minutes at a time, right? I'm going to, I really am!

So, anyway, as I mentioned when I wrote to you about the Carne Guisada Shepherd's Pie, I made a total of 4 pies for the 37 Cooks Pie Challenge. It was a fun challenge and if you want to see all the cook's recipes, click this link and there your pie treasure awaits!



Bacon, Egg, and Tomato Pie

Isn't it glorious? You've been eating this your whole life, you lucky girl. Now you have the recipe. So go make it for Becky and Caysie (I love your roomies). Better yet, y'all should have the mom sleepover Caysie's mom suggested and make this pie for us! 


If you want to hear the story of how I got this recipe, go read all about it on 37 Cooks. All you really need to know is it's terrific, people will freak out and say you're a cooking goddess, and it takes no time at all to put this together so you can just smile and have another mimosa.

10 slices bacon, fried, drained of excess fat, and cut or torn in 1 inch pieces*
1 can crescent rolls**
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
5 slices American cheese
3 eggs, separated
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon onion powder
pepper to taste
paprika, optional


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fry and drain bacon. Place crescent dough in a pie pan and push to form a crust. Sprinkle bacon over dough. Top with tomato slices. Season with some pepper (you can add salt but I feel that the bacon and the American cheese provide plenty of salty flavor). Add cheese in one layer (you can slice or tear the cheese to make them fit. Beat egg whites till stiff (imagine what a dense white cloud in the sky looks like). With a spoon or a rubber spatula, combine yolks and rest of ingredients in a separate bowl. Gently fold in the whites till combined and pour over the cheese. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 35-40 minutes and serve immediately.

*Dad "fries" our bacon in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees on a baking rack inside a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Easy cleanup and nice flat, straight bacon slices!

**Dad accidentally bought these instead of my usual and I'm actually glad he did! I thought they fit in the pie pan better. That said, the package contents of both are probably exactly the same size and so just get either one! You can use the brand, flavored or original, that you like.














Love,

2 comments:

  1. I may have to make this one!

    Also, LOVE the Flylady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Let me know if you make it and what you think! I love the Flylady too! I mean, what's not to love?

      Delete