Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Bourbon-Pickled Jalapeños (and Serranos)

Dear Lauren,

I really didn't know what to think about this recipe because I'm not a pickler. I'm not a canner. I wish I was! I've tried maybe one or two quick pickling recipes and they didn't really work out. I nearly talked myself out of this one, but then I thought about Missy's Famous Pickles* and I thought, hmmmm, I better give this bourbon pickling recipe a try. So glad I did! These were a real hit! I used mostly Serrano peppers because that's what we had the most of in our garden but, unless you can really take the heat, I would suggest using jalapenos as the original recipe author suggests. And by the way, the book "Smoke & Pickles" is excellent. I made ten recipes within about two weeks out of this book. Edward Lee is my new sweetheart and I plan to stalk him on the Internet. For recipes! 

Bourbon-Pickled Jalapeños (and Serranos)
adapted from Smoke & Pickles by Edward Lee
(Thank you to my friend, Woo Brower, for sharing her book with me!)

12 ounces jalapeño peppers, tops cut off, sliced in 1/4" rounds (WEAR GLOVES! Substitute Serranos or other peppers depending upon your heat tolerance.)
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 cup Maker's Mark (or whatever bourbon you like)
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
2 bay leaves

Place your pepper slices in a quart-sized mason jar (I like wide-mouth jars and I like this funnel, which is optional). Bring the rest of the ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan and then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into the mason jar and top with a lid (I like these.) Refrigerate for 5 days. They will last for up to 2 weeks.

Love,

P.S. Missy is known far and wide in her neck of the woods and beyond for her famous pickles. If you make these, put them in mason jars, and give them away as gifts, you will be the most popular person in your town! They are that good!

Missy's Famous Pickles

1 gallon hamburger dill pickles, drained
2 small jars sliced jalape
ños, drained (you can use 1/2 jar of the Bourbon-Pickled Peppers above, if you like)
1 small bottle Tabasco
4-5 garlic cloves
5 pounds sugar

Mix all ingredients in a giant plastic Tupperware and seal well. Turn it upside down on its lid. Flip it back over once a day and stir it. Do this for 5 days. On the 6th day, taste and then feel free to add more jalape
ños or garlic. Put in mason jars and keep the jars refrigerated.They will keep 2-3 weeks but they won't last that long, trust me. You can serve these on anything or eat them by the fistful all on their lonesome, they are fantastic!

3 comments:

  1. These sound really fun. Do they taste boozy

    ReplyDelete
  2. When they start out they smell very boozy! But after they do their thing in the jar, I checked mine for the first time at day 5 because I forgot on day 3 and 4 (!), they don't smell nor taste boozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they start out they smell very boozy! But after they do their thing in the jar, I checked mine for the first time at day 5 because I forgot on day 3 and 4 (!), they don't smell nor taste boozy!

    ReplyDelete