Monday, September 23, 2013

The Meatloaf Sandwich

Dear Lauren,

Last night I got out the juicer. My friend Judy had asked me to see how my juicer did with watermelons. Judy is in love with watermelon juice. She needs a juicer that makes great watermelon juice. 

Mine works great.

I don't even like watermelons. At least I never have. And I mean never in my entire life.

I remember going to the obstetrician when I was pregnant with you, and Dr. Bradley telling me not to eat watermelon while pregnant. Not a problem for me.

But Dad brought home a watermelon last night and I ate a bite. 

I now love watermelon. Go figure.

And I love watermelon juice. I can't explain it.

And as I was eating my dinner - a meatloaf sandwich and some watermelon juice - I thought to myself, this is a dinner of fall and summer. It wasn't planned that way, but there it was...a marriage of the two seasons and that's right where we are in September here in Georgia. Fallummer. Fummer. Sall.

The meatloaf sandwich was outstanding! Dad made the meatloaf the day before, using your grandmother's recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatloaf. The day after you make the meatloaf, you get a sesame potato roll and open it up. Put some mayo on it. Put a slice of meatloaf on it. Add some sweet rings of raw onion. Add more mayo if you're Dad. Top it with the top half of the roll and eat it. Sip watermelon juice with it if you're me. Dad says it goes fine with Diet Coke. You decide.

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of crushed crackers
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 can condensed tomato soup
1 beaten egg

Mix all that up and make into a loaf on a baking sheet. Or you can make a mound in a round baking dish.

Sauce:
1/2 can tomato soup
2 Tablespoons mustard
1 cup water
2 T
ablespoons vinegar
4 T
ablespoons brown sugar

Pour the sauce over the loaf.

Bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours.

Love,


P.S. You have to try watermelon juice. Incredible. Next time I will add cucumber, or lime, or hot pepper, or maybe basil. Or maybe I'll just have watermelon and no juice. I like watermelon now. It's a miracle.

P.P.S. Is it true you can't eat watermelon while pregnant? I don't know.

P.P.P.S. Dad slices the meatloaf and then heats it a little on a hot cast iron skillet before he puts in on the sandwich. And he also adds a slice of cheddar to his. He wanted you to know this.

Also: ONLY USE SWEET ONION ON A MEATLOAF SANDWICH. In fact, I'd have to say, with no exceptions I can think of, only use sweet onion on anything. The hot ones just won't do.


No comments:

Post a Comment