Monday, September 16, 2013

Orange Fritters

Dear Lauren,

I was just minding my own business one day. Just reading my Facebook wall and keeping up with my friends like a good Facebooker. And then out popped a post from my Facebook friend, Amy Sherman. She talked about how she found an old sorority cookbook at a thrift store. So I Googled and I found a Sigma Kappa sorority cookbook from 1924! I bought it on the spot!
Now, you know this story, but I'm going to tell it anyway. When I went to University of Texas back in the day, I wanted to go through rush. My parents were against this because back in my day, there was a lot of hazing going on and they were worried about their poor little lamb (me). So, I never went through rush and I was sad about it.

Fast forward to you going to University of West Georgia. You called me and told me you wanted to try to join Sigma Kappa. Why? Because, although it was a very old sorority, it was new to your campus and part of what they offered new members was a membership extended to their mothers. They only offered this for new chapters. Yes, I cried a tear or twelve. I encouraged you to join if it was the right decision for you.

As it turned out, it was, you did, and I did. It was amazing to me that only two mothers accepted the offer to go through the membership ceremony with their daughters. If they knew what it was like, that mystic bond, I know they would have done it. It was an amazing experience and I will never forget it.

The opportunities you have received as a result of being a member of Sigma Kappa astound me! Every time we talk about what is going on in your chapter, I clearly see (even if you sometimes don't) the ramifications and rewards you will have in the future because of your participation in this wonderful group. Sorority is probably the same as it always has been (minus the hazing!), but I was just not aware of it until I had gone through it with you.

A recipe for these fritters is in the Sigma Kappa cookbook, but there is no actual fritter batter recipe included. If you have a favorite pancake batter recipe, you can use it. Just make sure the batter is thick. You might need to add more flour to your recipe. Today, I am using a recipe I found on my friend Valerie's website, CD Kitchen. The site has recently undergone an overhaul and it looks maaahhhhhhhvelous! I really love it!

Orange Fritters
fritter batter adapted from a recipe on CD Kitchen and the Orange Fritter itself adapted from Sigma Kappa Cook Book, Iota Chapter, 1924

Prepare Two Navel Oranges:
Peel and remove every bit of the white pith from the oranges. Cut the oranges in thin slices and sprinkle with a little sugar on each side. Let the orange slices sit until the sugar dissolves. Drain the orange slices and dry them off very well with paper towels. One slice at a time, dip each slice in batter until it is covered completely and then drop immediately in deep, hot fat. Remove the slices from the fat when they are golden brown. Drain the fritters on paper towels or any other paper suitable for this purpose and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Eat at once!

Fritter Batter:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (if adding salted foods to the batter, omit salt)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 eggs


Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl and all wet ingredients in another. Stir wet and dry ingredients together until combined. Add a little more flour if the batter is not thick enough.

Love,


P.S. These taste a little like a funnel cake with an orange in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment