Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dried Bread Crumbs

Dear Lauren,

I really don't like to throw away food. So this morning when I came across a recipe for Tomato and Bread Soup in Italian Cooking by Carla Capalbo (that my friend Jessicca let me borrow), I thought PERFECT! Because the tomatoes from our garden are coming in 6-7 a day and I had half a baguette left over from making Bahn Mi sandwiches (from this cookbook) over the weekend and the bread's gone stale.



Still, even after making the soup, I knew I'd have more bread left over. Two friends of mine, Alexis and Woo,  recommended I get the Ad Hoc at Home cookbook by Thomas Keller. So I did. Cuz I'm a cookbook junky and highly suggestible. But you know that. Anyway, I made buttermilk biscuits from that book last night. And I decided to check the book today to see if TK had any bright ideas for me on how to use this stale bread. Well, of course he did! Dried bread crumbs! 
 Couldn't have been easier! Cut off the crust and tear the bread in pieces. Put it on a baking sheet in the oven at 250 degrees and bake for an hour, tossing them once halfway through.
 Stick the toasted bread in the food processor.
 And you have dried bread crumbs that will last in the pantry for a month! I mean TK says this - it has to be true!
Mine won't be lasting a month. I'm making this pork tenderloin recipe tonight and I'm not going to use Panko! I'm going to use my own!

Love, 
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment