Monday, January 18, 2016

Chocolate Pretzel Crispy Squares

Top tray!
I baked for only one family before Christmas. And actually it was on Christmas Day! So technically, not before at all! No, I wasn't too busy, too booked up with holiday affairs. Not at all. Next year I'll do better, that is my pledge, and I seriously doubt that will be a problem since I love Christmas and love baking for the neighbors.

In the week or two after Christmas I learned about two cookies, two baked goods, two GOODIES (here is one, the other follows) that require no baking and are fantastic to give at Christmas or any time of year at all. It made me wish I'd given that one family both of these things, and so I decided to make them and surprise them with these treats when they came home from their holiday trip.

I learned about Chocolate Pretzel Crispy Squares in a wonderful cookbook my friend Tracy sent me. The book contains food truck recipes. I've made six recipes out of the book so far. The food is so delicious; makes me want to only eat at food trucks from now on!


Chocolate Pretzel Crispy Squares
Adapted from a recipe from The Treats Truck - Kim Ima - New York, NY from Food Truck Road Trip

4 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
6 1/2 cups Rice Crispies cereal
85 mini pretzels, *see prep instructions
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

*If you have a food scale, measure 125g mini pretzels. If you don't and you don't want to count, just use about 3 handfuls. Place the pretzels in a Ziploc, zip it, and lightly roll a rolling pin across the bag. You are looking for various sized pieces, not pulverized pretzels!

Butter the bottom and walls of a 9 x 13 pan with one tablespoon of butter. Set aside. In a medium pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. When completely melted, reduce heat to medium-low and add the marshmallows and stir until smooth. Remove pan from heat and add Rice Crispies and stir until they are coated with the marshmallow mixture. Add pretzels and both chips and stir until they are well mixed. Pour mixture and press evenly into the 9 x 13 pan. Let set for at least 30 minutes and then cut into squares or bars. 

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment