Friday, August 22, 2014

Marinated Mushrooms

Dear Lauren,

I've been placing bets with myself over who would do it first. Every morning I sit on the spot on the couch closest to the arm and in front of the ottoman. At night, Dad does. Every morning I balance my coffee cup on the arm like it's an end table. Every night, Dad does the same with a Diet Coke. The old sofa arms were rolled and a little flattened with age and made better end tables. The new sofas have track arms, but I like how they look.


Maybe I should go drink my coffee upstairs where the old couch is?

Yes, I spilled the coffee this morning. 

This has nothing at all to do with mushrooms, does it? 

I'm not much of a vinegar fan, but I had a baked chicken dish that I wanted to make and it called for mushrooms. Mushrooms can be kind of bland so I thought, "why not?" Let's marinate! The chicken dish was all the better for these mushrooms and I really think the orange zest I added helped, too. I'm still working on that chicken recipe, you'll have to wait for it!

Scrambled Eggs with Fresh Parsley
and Sauteed Marinated Mushrooms
Marinated Mushrooms

8 ounces mushrooms
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar (red or white - I used sherry wine vinegar)
lemon juice from half a lemon, about 1 Tablespoon
a heaping Tablespoon fresh chives, minced
a heaping teaspoon fresh tarragon, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
a heaping teaspoon fresh dill, minced
1 small clove garlic, minced

Clean the mushrooms and set them aside. You can slice, quarter, or leave them whole based on what you will use them for. Put all the rest of the ingredients in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and shake until well-combined. Taste and make adjustments for salt. Add the mushrooms to the bag and refrigerated for at least 4 hours. Serve.

Love,

P.S. I won $50 on the bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment