Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Dear Lauren,

I was going for the four-leaf clover frittata, but a five-leaf clover is even luckier, right? I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I talked about it with Susan Whempner and I then promptly forgot about it. When I noticed that Linda Mire posted it, and I felt like...this is a sign! So I got up this morning and made it for Dad, who is leaving today and will be in Boston for St. Patrick's Day! And he's wearing a green shirt! I'd say the five-leaf clovers are already bringing him luck!

St. Patrick's Day Frittata

2 eggs
2 egg whites
Green pepper slices from the bottom of the pepper for "clovers", Cut "stems" from the remainder of the pepper
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Break the whole eggs into a bowl. Separate two more eggs and add the egg whites to the bowl and beat with a fork until well-blended. (Save the remaining two egg yolks for another use, or discard.)

I used an 8" Scanpan*, so no fat or cooking spray was required for my dish. If you are using another kind of skillet, add about 1 teaspoon of butter or olive oil to a pan that has been heated over low to medium-low heat. Add the egg mixture. Add your "clovers". Add salt and pepper. Carefully carry the pan to the oven and bake for about 7-8 minutes, until the frittata is slightly puffed and set in the middle. Cut and serve.

*If you have more people to feed, use a larger pan and add more eggs. :-)

Love,

P.S. This is such an easy, yet special breakfast to make when you are on the go in the morning!

P.P.S. The photo was taken at 6 in the morning with my cell phone. No sunlight available, sorry! Still, I think you get the idea. 

P.P.P.S. My favorite things to add to frittatas are leftover spaghetti and a little Jarlsberg. Frozen peas too! But for breakfast, simple ingredients are sometimes better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment