Monday, February 3, 2014

Meat Loaf Bundt

Dear Lauren,

You might wonder why anyone would cook a meatloaf in a bundt pan. Well, why not? The truth is the cookbook I've been reading in Cook My Book inspired me to think crazy thoughts and this was the result.


The "cake" came out of the oven like this. It made me wish I'd added more onions on top and next time I will. I decided I might as well go all the way with the cake theme, waited until the meatloaf was nearly cool and flipped it.

Yep, here's the glazed result. It's just some ketchup and a little water. Some pepper. It's delicious. I'm sure I'll continue to experiment with ingredients but I wonder if I'll ever use another pan? This one is so fun!

Meat Loaf Bundt
Adapted from a recipe for Meat Load in I Like You by Amy Sedaris

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk or cream, whatever you have on hand
2 cups bread crumbs
flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
parmesan cheese, about 1/4 cup, shredded
1 onion, chopped
Worcestershire sauce, a few shakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup or so of whatever wine you have on hand
Salt and Pepper

1 Red Onion, thinly sliced, place on top before baking

Glaze:
Thin some ketchup with a little water so it will pour over the top of the meatloaf.

Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and combine well. Plate evenly in a bundt pan. Top with onion slices. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or so until done. Serve as is or cool and unmold. Pour glaze on top and sprinkle some pepper on top. Broil for 3-4 minutes and serve.

Love,

P.S. I have a friend named Debi and she said she makes her meatloaf like this too! Only she put in half the meat, then adds fillings before adding the rest of the meat! What a fun surprise! Some of her suggestions are: olives, taco stuff, mashed potatoes, mushrooms. Her favorite is mashed potatoes and peas!

P.P.S. Feel free to vary the ingredients! Use whatever you have on hand and whatever sounds good to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment