Monday, July 8, 2013

Eat Your Cucumbers



Dear Lauren,

I was really busy today.

I rearranged the cookbook cabinet.

It's not the Dewey Decimal System, let's just clear that up right off.

No, I made one shelf for cookbooks we've bought this year. Two more for cookbooks based on height. Two more for cookbooks (by year) for our cookbook club, Cook My Book. And one shelf for cookbooks I don't think we'll ever use, but if I give them away, you can be sure the next day Dad will be looking for them. He's got some kind of automatic emergency alert system for everything I take to Goodwill.

Later, I entered all of my cookbooks in Eat Your Books. I've been thinking about becoming a subscriber for some time and I took the plunge.

Then I searched recipes for cucumbers.

And guess what? I found a recipe in one of my cookbooks that I don't think I've ever even cracked open!

Today I learned that I love cucumber salad and that I have 62 cookbooks here in the house (actually a few more, since EYB doesn't have every single cookbook in their collection...like the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo 50th Anniversary Cookbook, one of Dad's favorite books.)


Cucumber Salad 
adapted from
The Comfort Table

3 cucumbers, peeled, sliced in half length-wise, seeds scooped out with a small spoon (discard seeds) and sliced in 1/4 to 1/2-inch half moons
1/2 cup Mexican Crema, can use sour cream
1 shallot, small dice
1/2 lemon, juiced
pinch of kosher salt
freshly ground pepper, use as much or as little as you like

Mix all ingredients together. Taste to see if you need more salt. Chill.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment