Friday, October 12, 2012

San Diego

Dear Lauren,

Get ready for a rambling post. And no recipe! 

Dad and I were on vacation this week. Actually, I was on vacation and Dad was working. I had a lot of plans for my time in San Diego and I can't say that I accomplished many of those goals. But I'm so glad I was able to go. Dad travels so much and any time I get to tag along makes both of us happy. Here are some pictures I think you'll enjoy.




This beautiful hibiscus flower was in the backyard where we were staying. 





Southern California is such a beautiful place! 


 As we were driving along the coast I insisted that we stop at Pannikin Coffee & Tea. Why? Because it was a weekday and the place was packed inside and out! I had to see what the hubbub was all about! I went down in the basement and found a large coffee roaster. They roast their own beans at Pannikin's!
  

Another flower on a tree in the backyard of our bungalow.

Here are some of the things I learned, experienced, or read about:
Try charred rosemary twigs in cocktails and sauces.

Kikkoman opened its first soy sauce plant in the US in Walworth, Wisconsin in 1972.

Good salad combination (I will make this at home): salmon, asparagus, radicchio, fennel, romaine, green apple, oranges, blue cheese (the menu said it would be feta but I got blue cheese my mistake and I loved it!), and orange soy vinaigrette.

Stacked: Food Well Built - order and pay on an iPad right at the table! What a great concept!

Here is a video Dad took of the ladies at Old Town Mexican Cafe making tortillas. Now I make flour tortillas just like this lady does thanks to my friend Mario! But I like how the corn tortilla lady would pat and turn her dough and I'm going to try it! We watched these ladies for at least ten minutes and gave them a big round of applause when we left. The seemed pleased.



All of the coastal towns north of San Diego (Carlsbad, Encinitas, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Torrey Pines, and La Jolla) have such charm and beauty. Being in California made us homesick. It's funny to me that we only lived in California for three years, yet we became so attached to it!

Carnitas should always be fried! What happened to Old Town Mexican Cafe? Did they have a personnel change in the kitchen?

My new favorite sashimi: Hamachi Jalapeno with Yuzu Garlic Ponzu. I have it on my cooking to do list to learn to make.

Sun-dried tomato pesto.

My favorites this week - the sea air, the blue of the sea and sky that's only in California, time for reflection, and spending time with Dad. 

My regrets this week - not buying the Mexican heart ornament or the Talavera pottery when I first saw them. I knew there was a chance I wouldn't be able to get back to that shop! 

I can just bet what you have been thinking the entire time you've been reading this post. Get to the good part, Mom! Tell me about my souvenir! Well, I will be seeing you in a few short hours so how about I just show it to you!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment